Deep Tissue Massage
Deep tissue massage is designed to relieve severe tension in the muscle and the connective tissue or fascia. This type of massage focuses on the muscles located below the surface of the top muscles.
It is not uncommon for receivers of deep tissue massage to have their pain replaced with a new muscle ache for a day or two.
Deep tissue massage is often recommended for individuals who:
- experience consistent pain
- are involved in heavy physical activity (such as athletes)
- have sustained physical injury
Swedish massage is the most popular type of massage in the United States. It involves the use of hands, forearms or elbows to manipulate the superficial layers of the muscles to improve mental and physical health. Active or passive movement of the joints may also be part of the massage. The benefits of Swedish massage include increased blood circulation, mental and physical relaxation, decreased stress and muscle tension, and improved range of motion.
Unlike drug therapy, which is often associated with many systemic and long-term side effects, massage therapy is relatively safe and has few contraindications. It also provides many benefits.
- Physical benefits associated with the use of Swedish massage:
- loosening tight muscles and stretching connective tissues
- relieving cramps and muscle spasms and decreasing muscle fatigue
- loosening joints and improving range of motion
- increasing muscle strength
- calming the nervous system
- stimulating blood circulation
- firming up muscle and skin tone
- relieving symptoms of such disorders as asthma, arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, chronic and acute pain syndromes, myofacial pain, headache, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction, and athletic injuries
- speeding up healing from injury and illness
- improving lymphatic drainage of metabolic wastes
- Mental and emotional benefits
Mental benefits associated with massage therapy include:
- mental relaxation
- improvement in length and quality of sleep
- relief of stress, depression, anxiety and irritation
- increased ability to concentrate
- improved sense of well-being
Call our medical spa to schedule your Deep Tissue Massage or Swedish Massage, 361-994-7500